Sunday, October 08, 2006

Yankees Fire Joe Torre, Name Billy Martin Manager



Armed with a ouija board and a staff of psychics, NY Yankees owner George Steinbrenner is prepared to enter the 2007 season with the spirit of Billy Martin guiding the team.

"I've always thought Billy was the best man to manage the Yankees," Steinbrenner said from his Tampa mansion. "It's good to have him back."

This will be the sixth time Martin has managed the team. This reporter couldn't contact Martin for a comment, but when I asked for a sign on if the Yankees would win the World Series in '07, my framed autographed picture of Reggie Jackson fell off the wall.

I'm not sure if that means "yes" or "no."

Comments:
If the George Steinbrenner portrayed on Seinfeld was like the George Steinbrenner of "real life," this is exactly what he would do. Do you think Martin could manage the team successfully via a psychic in the dugout? Wouldn't the psychic know the outcome of every game before it was even played? You need to think about these things. Someone does. It might as well be you. I'll expect an answer on my desk by noon tomorrow.
 
You are all fired.
 
I remember having met, my boyhood hero (though I was NOT a Yankee fan), Billy Martin (I had had a Rawling's G600 glove at age 10), in August 1989 in Santa Barbara, as he was (what else) having a drink at lunch at the Cattleman's Inn. He was very gracious even as I asked for an autograph. Though his hand was in a cast (reason he didn't explain), he signed his signature. A fond memory for me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?